The ethnic Greek community in the Egyptian capital has elected a new 11-member board of commissioners, with Christos Kavalis (photo) re-elected to the post of president of the board.
The new board’s term will last until 2012.
In Cairo, the Greek community was founded in 1856, with the community based in three main neighbourhoods: Tzouonia, Haret el Roum (Street of the Greeks), and in Hamzaoui.
The Greek community of Alexandria was founded in 1843. In 1907, the official census showed 62,973 Greeks living in Egypt. By 1940 Greeks were numbered at about 250,000.
It is estimated that between 1957 – 1962 almost 70% of the Egyptian Greeks left the country.
Today there are less than 2000 Greeks in Alexandri and around 3,000 in Cairo.